WINTER IS THE PEAK TIME FOR CARBON MONOXIDE POISONING. THE CITY OF OAK GROVE HAS SOME TIPS ON HOW TO KEEP YOUR FAMILY SAFE THIS WINTER
Carbon monoxide robs you of what you need most: oxygen. Everyone is at risk due to needing oxygen, however, the elderly, infants, people who have heart disease, anemia, or breathing problems are more prone to long-term effects and death.
What is carbon monoxide?
- Also known as CO, is a poisonous gas that is colorless and odorless.
- For these reasons, it’s known as the “Invisible Killer.”
- More than 150 people in the US die every year from accidental non fire-related CO poisoning.
- Because CO is odorless, colorless, and otherwise undetectable to the human senses, people may not know that they are being exposed.
What are the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning?
- Low to moderate poisoning:
- Shortness of breath
- High-level poisoning:
- Mental confusion
- Loss of muscular coordination
- Loss of consciousness
- For more information go to U.S. Fire Administration
How can I prevent it?
- Install battery-operated carbon monoxide detectors in the hallway near each separate sleeping area in your home.
- Replace the battery when you change the time on your clocks each spring and fall.
- Have your furnace, water heater, and any other gas or coal-burning appliances serviced by a qualified technician every year.
- Do not use portable flameless chemical heaters indoors.
- Never use a gas oven for heating your home.
- Never use a generator inside your home, even if the doors and windows are open.
- Never run a car in a garage that is attached to your house, even with the garage door open.
What to do if your carbon monoxide alarm sounds
- Immediately move outside to fresh air.
- Call 911.
- Do a headcount to account for members of your household.
- Do not reenter the house until emergency responders have given you permission to do so.
If you have any additional questions or concerns, please contact the City of Oak Grove. We are more than happy to help in any way we can.